View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Minepza View Post
I don’t understand why you are talking about theories and statistics, and insulting me on it too, I didn’t even challenge you on that. I’m talking about a real practical world scenario of testing someone. People have been testing now since the beginning of the pandemic, it’s the way we know if we’re positive or not. You do understand this correct, that this is not in dispute? The majority of them get the correct result, especially if it’s positive, which is what we care about. You don’t have to even read a Harvard article to know this if you have been tested or know anyone that’s been testing. Just because one person gets a wrong result does not negate the 99% of the others that had it right. My original question was why wouldn’t you want to know if your fellow crewmember is infected?
This is not about testing people who one has a clinical suspicion of illness, it is about random testing of EVERYBODY in the forlorn hope that it will give you meaningful information about their potential to affect others, with a test that is MATHEMATICALLY INCAPABLE of providing you with that information. By no stretch of the imagination are 99% of those tests going to be right. I would LOVE to know who is contagious and who is not but your proposed course of action would not provide that information.

Look, I give up. I have told you what you need to do to have a meaningful understanding of this issue, others have referred you to videos that fully explain it. As I said, I can explain it to you or point you to sources that will explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you. And you obviously never went to those sources or put any effort into understanding them. You are simply ignorant - which as I said is OK, it is clearly not an area where you have studied or likely ever needed, there is a lot of info in this world and none of us have all of it, but you not only persist in your ignorance despite people far more knowledgeable than you pointing to how you can educate yourself, but continue to arrogantly lecture to people who clearly comprehend the issue far better than you, and you are simply wrong. If you are comfortable with that and don’t care about being ignorant, so be it. Don’t look up Baye’s Theorem and see how it applies. Revel in your ignorance for all I care. But don’t pretend you know enough to correct people who do understand the issue. You are simply embarrassing yourself further.