Old 03-07-2021, 03:01 PM
EMAW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
That's a given, and not in question, though the speed restriction does NOT apply outside the STAR and a flight is NOT expected to maintain 270 outside the STAR, unless specifically cleared to do so.

That is not the question, however.

The question regards a flight at the initial fix (KOZAR( listed on the STAR, at FL240, at 300 knots. If the cruise altitude is 300 knots and the airplane arrives at the STAR at 300 knots, the first fix showing a speed restriction is not KOZAR, but EEEZI.

If ATC intends that the flight maintain 280 knots prior to that point, specifically in this case the aircraft arriving at KOZAR in cruise at 300 knots, then ATC will need to include that speed restriction in the clearance, because it's not found on the chart.

A wise pilot will still ask if it's needed.
That situation is exactly what I was trying to answer, by asking a controller what they were taught to expect. And I passed along what he said.
Here’s another caveat. What if you are given, from FL450, a “descend via” clearance, and your 3 degree descent has you intercepting 280kts outside of KOZAR? What then? It may never happen due to design, but I haven’t delved into the TERPS to find out yet.

I know how the FAA describes speeds, but the OPs specific question isn’t published anywhere I have been able to find yet. If anyone has a reference to this specific explanation, I’d love to read it.