Old 03-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Gordie H
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Here’s another caveat. What if you are given, from FL450, a “descend via” clearance, and your 3 degree descent has you intercepting 280kts outside of KOZAR? What then? It may never happen due to design, but I haven’t delved into the TERPS to find out yet.
If I'm filed/cleared KLYNK 3...I'm going to program my FMS with a transition decent speed of 280 kts (probably while setting up for the approach during cruise) regardless of what FL I'm cruising at. On the arrival descent (either descend via or descend and maintain) I'll just let the FMS lock onto the transition speed of 280 without concern for where we are over the ground. Just looking at the STAR quickly though, it looks like you'd be well inside of Kozar. Hopefully I understood your question correctly? Also - everything Burke wrote is spot on as far as I can tell.

One other thing - above you talk about speed being more important than altitude....I'd go the other way particularly if I'm going to have to break one, I'll chose to bust the speed