Old 03-08-2021, 02:40 AM
EMAW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Gordie H View Post
If I'm filed/cleared KLYNK 3...I'm going to program my FMS with a transition decent speed of 280 kts (probably while setting up for the approach during cruise) regardless of what FL I'm cruising at. On the arrival descent (either descend via or descend and maintain) I'll just let the FMS lock onto the transition speed of 280 without concern for where we are over the ground. Just looking at the STAR quickly though, it looks like you'd be well inside of Kozar. Hopefully I understood your question correctly? Also - everything Burke wrote is spot on as far as I can tell.

One other thing - above you talk about speed being more important than altitude....I'd go the other way particularly if I'm going to have to break one, I'll chose to bust the speed
I agree with you on programming the FMS. But the original question was what if you are given an early descent, well outside of the arrival? Do you transition to 280 when you intercept it? Once you are on the arrival? Or by the first fix with a restriction? I have yet to have them leave me above where I transition to 280 until getting on the arrival.

Just thought of something else. Going along with what you said you would normally be on the STAR descending if on the optimized profile descent, and you wouldn’t be able to maintain 280 at the top of descent. My theory is that that is why the first fix, in this case KOZAR isn’t speed restricted, even though it really is via a floating restriction.