View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 04:09 PM
AfriFO
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: ERJ-170 CA

Originally Posted by C17B74 View Post
COVID has put a damper on those living abroad no doubt. Like most everything, this too shall pass. We have numerous folks living abroad and from what I gather, when able they obviously bid trips that start closer East Coast or Left Coast closer to home. A gent who lives in Portugal and another in Luxembourg are based JFK so that’s relatively easiest for them and sometimes he manages to just end trips in Europe based on the bid they were able to obtain (Cancel last DH leg to U.S. from Europe). One of our guys gets tickets from Guadalajara Mexico to ANC being cheaper than from LAX so they take care of him. (Long flights, but free). Our fleet of folks residing in the Far East side of the Ring of Fire have had a tough run for a year like many others. Many locked out of their countries of residence for many many months. They managed quite well before this debacle and it truly opens your eyes to consequences/challenges living abroad. I myself do not and this 747 info is from what I have gathered flying with them. I debated about living abroad while still doing this gig - seemed very doable at that time.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I figured it's hard to gage or predict what it will be like with Rona. I was curious for those living in the far east, as that may be my situation in a few years and I was wondering if it would be possible working on the 747 or 777.