View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 06:57 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by mkitrn View Post
lol yeah man I’m aware that airlines that pay less money and don’t use hub and spoke and instead use focus cities and don’t fly to Europe or Asia don’t use regional jets well aware...

All that is needed is the appearance of insolvency if you can point to a nail in the coffin like a intentionally underfunded pension that must be taken over by the PBGC you can use it. It happens over and over and over again and history will repeat itself again. Tighten your scope in times like these see what you get. I’m not saying loosen scope. I actually think legacies should have one single pilot group just like other majors (but pay b scale for small jets). But what I’m saying is try to tighten your scope with current pay rate at legacies in the current environment and see what happens I do not think you you will like the result. There is a time to take more and now is not that time.
Au contraire. There is less flying going on right now then there has been for decades. If you aren’t going to take scope back now, WHEN EVER WOULD YOU? Certainly not when the mainline DOESN’T have the capacity to do it.

Besides, some contracts limit scope to a certain percentage of the major narrow body or total flight hours. That scope will decrease automatically. And while I agree that companies can declare bankruptcy pretty much at will (Republic was still profitable the last time they did it to shed their 50 seater contracts) that’s not a good reason to NOT go after reduced scope now. That situation ALWAYS prevails, if management wants to do it. Nor am I against compelling legacies to bring all the flying in house with a B-scale for what are now regional jets for those legacies that actually require small jets feeding their hubs to be profitable.

But again I ask you, if not now, when?