Thread: Atrial Flutter
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 07:19 AM
TOGA Thrust
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

I had AFIB first time was about 4.5 years ago. Was converted, went on flecainide back at work in a bit over 30 days. (I had a great AME, she pushed the FAA to issue the SI) Second time was about 26 months ago. Converted, went on Multac, back at work at about 34 days. Awesome AME called down to FAA and as she said the “right” doctor answered the call and told her to issue.

In November 2019 had third Afib and bit the bullet and did the ablation - antiarrhythmics werent cutting it anymore. FAA requires 90 day sit after ablation then multiple tests. It took 168 total days (from diagnosis to having medical in hand) to get back to work.

In October 2020 got a-flutter. Another ablation and am still out. First ablations are about 75% effective, second ablations are about 90% effective. We’ll see. I have been out 168 days to date and have been waiting for a decision from OKC aeromedical for four weeks.

Unless necessary I wouldn’t do anything more than required by the FAA. Ie cardioversion, 24 hr holter, stress test and echocardiogram (for first time SI, after that only 24 Holter required) Your cardiologist needs to fully understand the FAA requirements regarding AFIB. You don’t want optional stuff that he/she would do with a patient who has a ‘normal’ job. I would NOT want an implantable device continuously monitoring my heart.

Guide for AME’s regarding Afib: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._classes/afib/

There’s a saying Afib begets Afib so here’s a public service announcement:

About 10 percent of the population has Afib. One of the four lifestyle changes one can make is treating OSA. If you think you have it, I would strongly suggest doing a sleep study. OSA is extraordinarily hard on your heart. I use my CPAP about 99 percent of the time.

Two - weight loss, yes it ain’t fun but you’ll feel better and look younger. Start at losing 10 percent of your current weight, then go from there.

Three - limit or stop alcohol consumption, yeah that ain’t fun either but alcohol is very hard on your heart.

Four - get some exercise, no you don’t have to run five miles every day, just get out, get a dog, go for some walks.

If you do those four things and still have an arrhythmia reoccurrence you will have done everything on your part to help your Doctors do their part.