View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 05:38 AM
JamesBond
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: A350 Both

Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
Off the top of my head...if a pilot doesn’t layover in the city scheduled, the whole trip is at double pay. Or award a supplemental vacation day.

Any legs flown not on original rotation are at double pay.

If layover shortened by 2 hours or more, double pay.

I’m open to other ideas. As I mentioned, reroutes basically negate seniority when they dramatically change the trips you are awarded. I’d really like to see something in the new contract that protects us from the optimizer.

One story: about to start leg 2 of the day. ATL-OMA turn. After that, ECP 33 hour layover. We are running late, but have 60 minute turn time in OMA. Phone goes off...rerouted to IND for 9 hour layover instead of ECP. Before we even left for our OMA turn. I call crew tracking to find out WTF has happened. Optimizer saw <30 min turn time in ATL so rerouted us to something with more connection time. I ask “did you ever consider shortening our turn time in OMA!?!!” To their credit, tracking ACARSd us while airborne and put us back on original layover. But what if I hadn’t said something?

Anyway, reroutes suck. I understand that sh1t happens and reroutes are necessary, but it shouldn’t be the default go-to every time there is a minor hiccup.
I don't disagree that reroutes suck, but your pipe dream is about as likely as me playing in the NFL. The only one you might get close to is the shortened layover by more than 2 hours.

I'm not being a company guy here, but if they had to pay all those things at double pay, they would have no flexibility and it is necessary for them to have some to run the airline. BUT... they have abused it no doubt. What if those reroute legs were pay no credit? It might amount to the same thing actually, so it might not work either. It was just off the top of my head. It would be an interesting discussion.