View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 07:13 AM
skywatch
Gets Weekdays Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Economy Minus

Originally Posted by 400000Dead View Post
Are these predictions not hard? Is this not a 100 year event? Is this not a novel virus that we're learning about daily?

You obviously lost the argument because you didn't dare touch my point about how warnings affect outcomes.

Your expectations are so unreasonable that it's clear your objective is to discredit the CDC. Any cautionary announcement is an affront to you. And you'll be ready with the pitchforks if it strays in the slightest.
Of course warnings affect outcomes. Aren't you the one whining that we didn't follow the warnings though? Isn't that your whole schtick? Nice redirect though. My expectations are that when an expert says we need to shut down and destroy whole industries (travel, tourism, hospitality, food service, fitness), says we need to destroy the mental health, education and psyche of an entire generation of children, and when that expert says we need to destroy our economy and take on what, 6 Trillion plus dollars worth of COVID debt (for a country that makes max 3 trillion a year in revenue - and it turns out that is all for a virus that overwhelmingly kills the infirm (over 40% of the deaths are in long term care facilities) and the old (almost 60% of the deaths are in people over the age of 75) my expectation is that is an important prediction, and he better be pretty sure he is going to be correct. No, this isn't a weather report.

I don't get this - you continue to preach that it isn't about the individual (me) and it is about the collective good, all the while arguing how important it is to destroy the economy and our society (the collective good) to save that one additional individual that might die.

Again, I like the smug. After all, "the fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"