View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 06:28 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AntiPeter View Post
A few things concern me.

1. if the vaccines are effective as "science" says, then why would those that receive the vaccine be scared of those that haven't been vaccinated?
I'm not. I'm scared of politicians who pander to and encourage hysteria. Covid is part real, part hype. Vaccination programs (more are more real than covid itself, in that they work as advertised) provide an off-ramp from this insanity and give politicians (and all the hysterics) an easy out to get back to life and taxation without losing face.

2. COViD has a fairly low iFR, the most recent estimate is 0.15%. For the overwhelming majority of the world this just isn't a safety issue, it is not a risk. There are much deadlier diseases that we encourage, so I see the continued irrational obsession with COViD as a dysfunctional double standard.
You know that. Most of us here know that. But somehow a large percentage of the public got suckered by big numbers taken out of the context of the vast size of global population.

3. "Science" has shown that most adults have at least some cross immunity to COViD prior to exposure. Because of this the vaccine is unneeded medicine for most people.
See #2

Legitimately cross-immunity (which I probably have plenty of from all my time in Asia) is hit and miss. Part of what makes this scary is that the media can always go find young, healthy-ish people who die of covid. Flu does that too, but just a bit less. I'm sure if we weren't used to the flu, and had a bad outbreak, we'd go hysterical over that too.

The one odd thing which stands out about covid to me is the preponderance of drawn-out symptoms... most people I know who had covid have some of that, none serious. But the FAA just said that stuff is disqualifying, so I'm getting the vaccine for that reason if no other. I'm also a proponent of the vaccine program in general because it provides enough legit additional safety to get many folks to crawl out from under their beds and maybe start flying again. I gave up crying about how ignorant people are a while ago, and am now just concerned with the reality of needing to make them feel safe.