Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

I definitely believe that most pilots are either a) unaware of the PSPP or b) against it. That doesn't it's a bad plan though. There hasn't been a good job in explaining what it is in the last 2 years or so and that's pretty problematic at this time.

[I've quoted the above out of chronological order so that I can address it together with the below.]

I 100% agree with you that pilots do not understand the plan. ... Did you attend any of the small group meetings about the PSPP?

I find this line of reasoning arrogant, offensive, and disturbing. If you aren't in favor of PSPP, you just don't understand. It wasn't explained well. You should have attended a small group meeting. That's where they passed out the "real" secrets.

Tony - we operate as a democracy. When you were on the MEC how many of those elected reps were against the plan after getting the briefs? Be honest here. It's been a big deal - maybe the biggest deal for the past several years so every single block election has a focus on it - how many? If not many, why do think that is? Are they all just arrogant idiots or did they spend the time to sit with the designers, ask the questions, murder it to their best ability and then eventually support it? You tell me - nothing in executive session - just your reading of the room.

The better question is how many came in as Block Reps opposed to the Variable Benefit Plan and changed their minds when they got the secret briefs? I only know of one who changed his mind.

We can't talk about Block Rep elections without acknowledging the interference of people who are more intent on maintaining the balance of power at the table than honestly representing their constituents. Witness the last election when a dozen people, some present Reps, some past Reps, most not even in the same Local Council as the election, published a letter supporting the candidate who opposed a candidate who favors improving our "A" Plan. When their hand-picked candidate for another Block published his final campaign message, the Microsoft Word "Track Changes" annotations on the page betrayed the fact there were several people involved as "puppet masters." Many of those same people published a letter during the election a year prior smearing and condemning "their" candidate's opponent. When I ran for Block Rep, I wrote my own letters and I personally sent a Text Message to every member of the Council. The other candidate had a small army of people sending text messages and making phone calls because he was not opposed to the Variable Benefit Plan. The percentage of VBP supporters at the table is not a function of superior arguments, superior intellects, or even secret briefings as much as it is a function of what I call sleazy politics. I realize a lot of people won't like that, but you asked for my read of the room. I believe there are a few decent members with honest intentions, but unfortunately they are outnumbered.

That's a sad note to end this post on, but like my signature line says ...

Maybe this will brighten the mood: If you've watched the videos, there are no magic secrets that will change your mind.