View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 11:07 AM
tom14cat14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 320

Originally Posted by Senior Skipper View Post
I'll try not to take sides in this discussion, but I'll say maybe it's a good thing this person doesn't want to instruct. The simple fac is that not everybody should instruct. An instructor is a teacher. And like all the teachers we all had at various levels of education, some were good and some were bad. The best teachers I had were the ones who really loved their jobs. They weren't just doing it because they were just out of college and needed a job fast.

I think the same principle holds true in aviation. The majority of CFI's use the gig as a stepping stone. Fine. But what if you really hate the job, or you're just not a good teacher? He may learn a thing or two from it, but it may not be beneficial for the student. The student may learn a lot of bad habits, or may just have a problem learning because CFI John Brown doesn't know how to impart knowledge.

Bottom line, don't say that everybody should instruct. It's not for everybody. Everybody should gain experience in low and slow airplanes where mistakes are easy to correct.
This is very true. I dont think everyine should be an instructor because if they are there only to build hours then most of the time they dont care about your flying. I guess a pos of this is that there will be one less instructor so less pilots can be trained which means maybe someday we will get paid like 2 or 3 cents more.

I am glad i instructed but change is happening and heck i am part of the change i may not be the 300 or 400 fo but i am lowwer then the old 1000 hours.