View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 08:15 AM
Planetrain
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by PilotWombat View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there. I know the "pilots holding preference" function on iCrew is mostly useless, but it does seem to show the popularity of various categories. I'm towards the low end of the totem pole, and I see that there are only 20 people with SLC73NB as a #1, 2, or 3 bid. With all the waterfall vacancies I expect will open up, how many do you think will fall to new hires? What other spots go unexpectedly unfilled?

These would be me guesses on unfilled/available to new hires. IDK how many in each, but the most will be NYC.
NYC220B
NYC320B
NYC73NB
maybe DTW717B
maybe ATL717B
SEA220B

One caveat with being super junior and looking at prefs for #1,2,3... many pilots will put some “dream” or “stretch” bids in the first several spots. While it may look like there are relatively few gunning for SLC73NB, people that are awarded it might have (unrealistically) LAX350A, SEA330A, LAX7ERA for spots 1,2,3, all the while knowing they legitimately will only have bids # 14,15,16... as real contenders. As you become more and more system-senior, this crystal ball complication tends to fade out a little.

Obviously those that bid with %prefs will also wreck the crystal ball. You never know which pref might be their current category with % that effectively stop any further bid prefs.

Example: Current category ATL7ERB - 70%

Bid:
ATL350B 50% (unrealistic)
ATL330B 50% (unrealistic)
LAX350B 50% (unrealistic)
ATL7ERB 50% (possible, bidding would stop)
ATL350B 70% (unrealistic)
ATL330B 70% (unlikely)
ATL7ERB 70% (bidding would likely stop here)

Bids 1-3 very unlikely, but still shows in icrew “count” feature. Bid also has a bunch of prefs, but stops with current category.

(Example only.... didn’t hit the category lists super hard on this exercise to examine actual possibility)