View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 05:05 PM
Flydafe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Originally Posted by Oletimer View Post
There's: qualified, unqualified, marginally qualified, well qualified,, highly qualified. Most highly qualified.

In order to be the most competitive, or highly competitive, I would think it highly logical to take the most qualified people available.

NO. that's crap...."Arguably anyone with an ATP is qualified to operate at a 121 carrier." NO. NO, NO, NO.

An ATP only means that individual passed an ATP check ride. It doesn't examine the how, the where, the why, behind that flight experience. A general aviation pilot with an ATP in a Bonanza would be a great example of a Hell to the NO.

Experience and the quality of it leads to judgement and that judgement comes from decision making. The more complex the operation, and the threats, the more difficult the decision making and therefore, arguably that person would be highly qualified to work at a 121 carrier.
Those are your standards if I am not mistaken correct? If not please list the FAA regulation or regulations that have these different opinions of a qualified applicant. Last time I checked you must be ATP certified to operate as a crew member of a 121 operation and to fly an aircraft that needs a type rating you have to pass that too in order to get typed in the plane. With a 121 carrier the applicant who is qualified by holding his or her ATP rating will be trained and checked. They pass those standards then they are an airline pilot. What is the issue that many have with this process? Why is there so much fear that the standards will crumble. Aren’t there case studies of “highly qualified “ pilots that had terrible accidents? I think the most important aspect of our operations is that both pilots participate in the safe operation of the aircraft and use good crm to mitigate any threats trapping them before they become undesired aircraft states.