View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 09:24 AM
the1dogman
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021
Default FBI Aviation

I was a FBI Agent for 27 years.
I flew for 22 of them.
I started as an observer as I learned to fly.
My instructors were two agents. One was a former Navy instructor the other was a ex USAF KC-135 IP.
He was on furlough from a major carrier. All three of us subsequently retired as full time pilots.
I obtained my Private on my own.
I was eligible for GI Bill Flight straining so I expended all my benefits.
Received my Multi Engine, Instrument, Commercial CFI Multi and Instrument.
I subsequently applied and was transferred to the WDC area. So were my former instructors.
I was able to attend Flight Safety for the Mitsubishi Marquise, Commander Jet Prop, and the Sabreliner series.
Also flew several different piston twins. Plus a Citation V just before I left. Received my SE ATP on my own, ME when typed in the Sabre.
We did FLIR surveillance, expedite transportation, evidence transportation, aerial photography, and executive transportation.
A great job, I flew to all the contiguous 48 states, Central/S. America, Canada, and US Caribbean Islands.
I retired in 2021 making about a 100k+. I made as much in retirement as my take home pay.
My military service counted towards my annuity.
I never went back inside an FBI office for assignment and always had a take home vehicle.
I flew Sabres and the Hawker 800 for 10 years as a corporate pilot.
The last I knew my old unit got rid of all the turbo props except a DHC 8. Jets are GVs and Citation(s).
Field office aircraft were C-210s and C-182RGs and Caravans. The 210s and RGs have been replaced by C-206s.
Helicopters are a different bailiwick.
Jet Rangers, Bell 412s, Aerospatiale, and some Blackhawks.
We had a few NAPs (non agent pilots) but only one lasted to retirement.
An entirely voluntary program agents flow in and out.
Many would prefer to be investigators.
Some are only part time positions in smaller offices as opposed to Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and San Juan to name a few that the positions are full time.
I had a good career both as a street agent and pilot.
A few guys left for the airlines over the years, others opt for management.
A believe there is a pilot recruitment slot in the application process.

Last edited by the1dogman; 04-18-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Addition to text.