View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 PM
highfarfast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by PilotBases View Post
LW exists because people keep buying them, but they are overpriced and overweight for their quality. Only one I think looks decent is the Aurora. Bought it for the wife on discount and it holds up well, while not looking like a pilot bag. I don’t know why people still buy the full metal frames when Jepp cases are long gone.
Agree with this. I’ve never owned the traditional LW bags because, for one, my research said don’t bother. But also, I was never impressed with what they provided visually... they actually look like they hold less than a lot of other bags, reviews indicate their quality has dropped over time considerably, they’re really heavy, and they just look like a hazard to everything around them due to their sharp edges. Anyway, when others here criticize LW in general I won’t argue here because I assume they’re talking about the traditional boxy LW bags of which I’ve only researched and never owned.

This lead me to buying the Briggs for my first airline bag thinking it would last a lifetime (it has a warranty for it anyway). I knew I’d need a second bag at some point to use when I sent the Briggs off at some point for it’s lifetime warranty. I THOUGHT that second bag would be the cheap Costo bag guys used to by. But by the time I needed it, the cheap Costo bag has been replaced by another version that didn’t seem adequate. After a bit of research, the LW Aurora seemed like the best short term deal. It wasn’t as cheap as the Costco bag I thought I’d need but it was cheaper than all the other professional pilot bags and seemed to have reviews that it held up well so I ordered it to use while my Briggs was in service.

What I found was that the LW Aurora held more than my Briggs, rolled smoother, and the expansion tech worked better. As a result, the LW Aurora is now my primary and the Briggs is the backup. Didn’t expect that. I’ve now been using the Aurora as a primary longer than I did the Briggs as primary and I’ve yet to have to send the Aurora in for service which means it’s lasted me longer than the Briggs. Didn’t expect that either.