Thread: NWA Ratifies TA
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Eric Stratton
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by 2dotslow
I do believe that my statement is true, but it isn't necessarily a knock on anybody. We pilots are well-compensated for a relatively easy job (even moreso today) that basically requires a measure of manual dexterity, and an ability to make decisions in real time. Lots of time off, much of the actual mission planning and preparation is done by others (except military ops), and once we get to where we're going we're usually through, done...go home, or to the hotel, or the golf course. You're reading way to much into it if you think there's any implication to unskilled workers, or that lowered standards could/should be the norm. FWIW, I think that lowered standards are, and have always been part of the system in some degree, but that's another story. Maybe it's just me... I've never really felt challenged (combat aside) either mentally or physically in this job, and I've been doing it for a long time. Military flying was the "toughest" and "funnest", corporate the easiest, airlines somewhere in between. BTW, my office is currently in Falcon 2000s or 900Exs...virtually paperless cockpits...so, much like your hopped-up 737s, the most pushing I do is with buttons on the FMS or the eyebrow panel
I don't think you answered the question about how much pilots should make?

If you think they are overpaid you should go and work at a regional while having a home and family.