View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 06:30 AM
PilotBases
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
Pilots complaining? You can’t be too surprised about that! Don’t overthink it! You’ve got a fantastic opportunity to fly an iconic airplane right out of the gate. It’ll still be a huge QOL boost coming from the regionals! If you like flying, the ER is one of the best and most enjoyable in the fleet. A nicely balanced interface between automation / pilot interaction (and I spent 6 years on the 320 and 88).

SLC-LAX commute isn’t too bad especially with PS commuting. You may even be able to sit long call from home if you’re ready to rush out the door in the evening (just be careful on probation). Guessing you’ll find most reserve assignments uncommutable on one end but that won’t be forever. You might also get some SLC overnights, plus the LAX ER captains are a good bunch.

I came off the CRJ to the “7ER” for a different company and I thought the transition was mostly easy. FMS is somewhat similar.

Enjoy the ride and get excited! It’ll take two years for the SJS to wear off, and then you’ve got all the exciting SLC options of 220/320/737. I’ve flown the “ER” for 5 cumulative years and I honestly still pinch myself, but I’m one of those guys that likes coming to work. 🤷‍♂️

*I might be “misremembering,” but isn’t it only a 1 year seat lock for new hires to change airplanes if the base they want doesn’t offer their current equipment, eg this situation?
Nobody is a “newhire” anymore. LOA 20-04 brought them all onto 717 Affected Pilot (off newhire pay) and they were included as part of the proffer, so they’re NQAT along with everybody else. Upside is off probation and onto year 2 pay, downside is one hell of a stressful year.