View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 01:20 PM
tripled
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Big ones

Originally Posted by tcco94 View Post
So I'm a pretty young new hire, live in SLC. I'm 85 or so from bottom. Missed SLC by one or so, went with a dream bid of 7ER out of LAX and got it. Seems a lot of people complain about the flying as you said. I haven't flown in over 1 year, coming from junior line as a regional captain. What's the issue with the "ugly" flying as said? Is it the overnight length and red eyes? This will be my first airplane at Delta and from the trips I see this will be a huge QOL boost from my previous flying (pre-pandemic). But I don't know what I don't know. I do understand someones trash is another man's treasure and don't want to fall in the habits of a new pilot falling for the shiny jet syndrome and such. I guess I'll see but still the flying I've seen and expect doesn't seem too horrible to me. Not enough for me to regret my bid. Even with the dying fleet thing.... Unless we expect that to be a dramatic changing in 2 years, but based on the bid it feels like that's not the case.

And I'll be off the fleet and on the 320 back home in SLC before I see the end days or 7ER or dwindling days. Maybe my optimism on that? I've read this thread on the bad trips and looked them up in open time and such. I just still don't see some of the bad or ugly flying. But my perspective of commuting to NYC220 vs LAX7ER seems like a huge QOL improvement and furthermore excitement for trips/work.
Based on your post you’re going to love it. And rightly so.

Next, you may realize that these forums are a good source of entertainment and a terrible resource for making life decisions. Enjoy the ride and welcome to the family; sorry for the bumpy start but it’s going to be great!