Thread: Side Hustle
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 12:41 PM
marcal
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by panpanpan View Post
Anyone do real estate agent? That seems like a great side gig and possible backup plan if you ever were furloughed lost medical.
If you are buying or selling a house, are you going to be happy when your agent can’t take you out or do an open house, or show it bc they are on a 3x day trip? No.

I worked as a realtor as a pilot and the only way you can truly service your clients to the level they deserve is full time.

Doing rentals is much more realistic than sales. I did rentals in NYC. You could rent an apartment typically in one afternoon so it was much easier to do a deal like that. But, you kind of need to be in a big city to have volume.

In the end I never felt I could adequately provide a level of service worthy of a 4-6% commission. I did help a handful of friends that new my deal but it only made me learn that working with friends isn’t ideal anyway when dealing with money and the largest purchase of their lives.

Some big agents have a team and if you could get on a team where you all service the client but you aren’t necessarily the point man would work too but then you may be sacrificing part of your commission.

In the end it is super easy and cheap to get the license so why not give it a shot?

Good luck.