Thread: Side Hustle
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 09:23 AM
JamesBond
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: A350 Both

Originally Posted by panpanpan View Post
This is the key. For many of us not making Captain pay, we can’t just live off our investments if something were to happen with flying. That is why there needs to be a real second job. The rehab, refinance, rent idea seems to be popular but also sounds like a headache and a lot of risk, especially in this sellers market.
Can you use your degree to work a second part time job... one that you could turn into a full time gig if need be? I did for years until I moved to Florida. My first 5+ years at DAL there was ZERO movement at the airline. I sat sideways on a 727 that entire time and the only chance I ever had to ride on a 767 was in the jumpseat or non revving. Furlough happened for many of my peers and lasted for many years. I was fortunate in only being stagnate. But there was always the sword of Damocles over my head. So I worked for that entire time at a job unrelated to aviation. One of the things I would tell young people that are thinking about being a pilot is to get a degree in something else. I would love for someone to try to change my mind on that.