Thread: Long term Keto
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 06:06 AM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

I've been on Keto for almost 3 years now. All my numbers are on the bottom side of normal. I also used to have a fatty liver. No more. I also used to get indigestion and GERD. I haven't popped an antacid in years. But one most noticeable difference for me aside from the obvious weight loss? My blood pressure. I always considered myself lucky when I'd go see an AME and end up with 140's over high 80's. Whew... as long as it would be below FAA cutoffs for meds. Now? My "new high" is 123/75. Usually, it's in the 110's over low 70's.

Dumping carbs has done miracles for me. Standard disclaimer, check with your doctor. Not all low carb diets are the same. I subscribed to Keto because I eat veggies as well. I know, one of the hardest things to give up are your fast food favorites, and actually they don't need to be. Take them without a bun, wrapped in lettuce, or take your favorite sandwich and ask them to make it a salad instead. You'll have the same taste that you'll like, but without all the carbs.

Can't really cheat on Keto because your body reacts to it and can knock you out of ketosis. If you start it, stick with it. Reprogram your body to burn the fat. And one last thing - you MUST work out. When you stall with the weight loss, and you will, what pushes you over to resume the weight loss is working out.

Then once you reach your desired weight, then start adding good carbs back. For example, beet roots are much better for you than a hamburger bun or double-fried chicken. This is essential because in addition to shedding weight, you also may be shedding muscle mass if you're not working out.

As always, talk to your doc before starting anything, but Keto has worked for me and I've been maintaining my new weight for a good 2 years now.