Thread: ONT
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 09:17 AM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
The other consideration is how much of your time should be spent with your kids vice someone else raising them for you. I’d take a lesser school system if it meant I could be actively involved over a great one that resulted in my losing that involvement to commuting. Lots of pros and cons to consider when talking about a move and commuting versus living in domicile. Generally speaking, your kids want all of your time and begrudge all of your absences.
While I see your point and agree to a certain extent, I’d argue if one’s intent is to stay home as much as possible, being an airline pilot might not be the best career choice. One MAY get lucky at certain companies with things like not getting called on reserve, abundant turn line availability, desk job options, etc., but by and large pilots are a travelling bunch. That being said, my kids have adjusted to my schedule and absences; accordingly, I don’t pickup any extra or JAs.

As far as commuting goes, I think the cost isn’t as bad as it appears. Example: 2 guys have identical
trip. In-domicile guy has evening with family, goes to
bed early then heads to work the following am for a 3am sign in. Commuter takes late afternoon nap, has dinner with family then heads out to jumpseat into a trip. Not much difference there. If the commuter takes an afternoon pax carrier option instead all he’s lost is a few hours with the fam. On the back side of the trip, domicile guy goes home in afternoon, sees kids for dinner after they are done with sports/activities and maybe a little time before bed. Commuter gets home late that night or early next am on ups flight. In-domicile guy wins but we are talking a difference of hours vs days.

On turn lines, locals, whatever you call them, these don’t really give you a significant amount of time with the kids either. PM turns let you see your kids before school. Am turns give you the afternoon but if you want to try to get decent sleep considering that at home you’ll have a 1-something wake up alarm to make a 230 show, you’re hitting the sack really early. Again, factoring in after school activities/sports, you’re not getting that much quality time with them on duty days.

Also consider that we get a good chunk of time off as it is with vacation options, conflict bidding, displacement, etc., even with commuting we are getting a ton of family time, maybe even more than 9-5ers...? Perhaps it is a good career choice for family???

Last edited by FTv3; 04-28-2021 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo