View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Cyio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
So one (1) of 2500 pilots is putting up videos that management believes might be helpful to them in recruiting new pilots (because it’s AA selling the tickets after all) and that sticks in your craw somehow?

And you seriously believe ‘management is trying to do everything they can against the employee group? If so, they’d seem to be the ones to be mad about.
Directed less at your post Excargodog and more to the one at the top of the page.

Eh, it’s more than that. Around this same time we had one or two pilots disciplined for YouTube content and a massive no social media campaign went into effect. We had constant letters and emails sent about social media and how we shouldn’t associate whatsoever with the company, going so far as to not even say you work for them in your bio.

Ok fair enough, most companies have some sort of policy, but then SM got a pass, all the while the company decided to essentially void an LOA we had in place. So the OPTICS of this all was he was getting a social media pass because his videos in many ways acted like a recruitment message.

When you couple that with him being able to earn additional income from this said venture, an opportunity that the rest of the pilot group is not afforded, people became irritated at the double standard and the videos acting as de-facto recruitment ads while the company was acting very much against the interests of the pilot group.

So long story short, this isn’t about being snowflakes anymore than it is about his personal life, but rather rooted in very real issues. I am no longer even at this company but I was around when this happened and felt some more clarity needed to be added. I don’t imagine I will be back for more, however it would be slightly ignorant for people to just say everyone is being overly sensitive. Sure the issue has mostly passed, but at the time it was very real.