Old 05-09-2021, 12:53 PM
fasteddie800
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

I just wish I understood the funding aspects better. As in, how the hell does someone convince the venture capital community to invest money in startups developing supersonic biz-jets?

Making a biz-jet has been done. Making a supersonic jet has been done. Making a supersonic biz-jet hasn't been done, but in theory there are no big showstoppers (no need to discover some unobtanium material, no need to develop any new branch of science and technology, etc).

On the face of it though, if I were a venture capitalist, and Boom Technology approached me about funding, I don't understand how it could possibly be an attractive investment. You're building an aircraft manufacturer from the ground up, to develop a product with an incredibly niche market, that will require years of capital investment before you could even hope to turn a profit. Maybe they'll succeed and you'll make money, but aren't there 100s of other, more attractive investments out there?

This article from Dec 2020 states Boom has raised 210 million, and has a "valuation" of $1 Billion. Not exactly sure how that works, how could a private company be "valued" at $1 Billion, when they've only received $210 million in funding?