View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 09:03 AM
BrianH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2021

Originally Posted by Noworkallplay View Post
BrianH and TonyC,

It appears from previous post you both have previously done union work? If true, Thank You! I truly appreciate those who volunteer. It also appears this union work you did was an elected position and in the past 1-3 years? If true, I have a couple questions:
  • If you had such great ideas, why did the elected majority and committees not notice these great ideas during your term?

• As someone who did some committee work in a previous life prior to Purple I understand that union work is about what the group wants. With this being said, you have to convince a group of people your idea is the best way to resolve a problem. So why were you unable to convince a large group of people (committees and reps) you had a better way to resolve the retirement issue?

• Are you two more the type to cry because you lost an argument? Are you just jaded because the way you wanted to resolve an issue wasn't accepted? Did you fail to articulate yourself well enough to gain support?

You two seem like reasonable people, but more the type that are crying over hurt feelings. You know the ones who look back and always say "I could have done so much better if they would have just listened". All the while you have no clue if that is true because you don't know how your idea would have played out. Arm Chair QB types.

I sure hope you two have a good support system at home a some good shoulders to cry on. If not, call each other and find some good snuggle time.

Okay, I'll bite and then get back on track.

The membership needs to get back in the fight. I have friends that will not attend meetings, call, email or text their reps. Yet they love to be "crewbus commandos." How is that going to work?

If you don't like your doctor, do you keep going to them? Or do you find another doctor? How about your mechanic? School for your children? Etc. Yet these pilots don't know their own contract. Showing up professionally prepared and ready to work means you know your CFM, FOM, and CBA.

How many union meetings have you attended? Normally there are 3-4 a year. If you can't find the time to attend one of them a year, are you really in the fight? How many times do you hear someone complain on the crewbus yet they have not gotten ahold of their reps, filled out a DART, or called the union office? It goes on and on.

So my ideas and positions are not popular for one reason and one reason alone.

The MEC and the NC have said many many times, XXX was "good enough." It has also been said by many of them, "Perfection is the enemy of good enough." I immediately say, and "good enough" is the ardent enemy of "Best Value". I am a best value thinker. The problem is Best Value takes more work, i.e. it is harder to do and takes more effort.

You decide, Best Value, or good enough. One requires you to get involved and demonstrate your resolve and the other does not.

I stand for Professional treatment and fair compensation, always have , always will. Float all boats and never, ever take money from one pilot to make improvements for another pilot. That has happened in the past, and we are going down that path again.

In 1999 your A plan had a max value of 130K, what should it be today? Let your reps know, or sit on the crewbus and complain. Same goes for your total compensation.

And if you want to talk, just PM me your number. I'll talk to anyone, it's that important.