View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 12:22 PM
Grease
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
That guy is an example of what can happen when you are focused exclusively on getting to a career destination to the exclusion of all else. As you noted, it’s a bit more common at Delta and some of the other big pax haulers. However, I think that’s purely because they hire more total bodies. He did have “card” to play, but his biggest one was that he simply checked all the boxes far faster than most. He was never going to be a 9,000 hr RJ pilot who had never been a LCA or school house instructor. The guy never rested on his laurels and waited for a phone call.

All that said, I wouldn’t want his life. Financially, he will crush it due to his timing and age he started. However, this job gets real boring, real fast. I wouldn’t trade the 20 years I spent flying for Uncle Sam for 20 more years here. I enjoyed having something to do between takeoff and landing. I will still retire from Brown very financially secure with no worries other than griping about how Uncle Sam is taking too much.
I actually like this aspect of it. I like boring, uneventful days at work in aviation. I’ll take boring over stressful any day of the week. We do have to battle complacency when things get routine, but I’d rather battle complacency than battle stress-related health problems.