Thread: PHX/BOI Bases
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 07:42 AM
CC268
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by herewego View Post
How about just getting a Job as an FO and worrying about that first instead of caring when you're going to upgrade and in what airplane.
Learn the Job as an FO. Suck up as much information, techniques, real world application of what you've learned and/or taught about the FARS. Learn what good CRM is and what bad CRM is. Learn from the good captains what makes a good captain and what you want to emulate, and learn from the weak captains what makes a bad captain and what behaviors you want to avoid as a captain. Learn how reserve works. learn how commuting works. Learn how to make more, while working less.
During your real education learn how the upgrade process works. You've most likely got at least two years to learn all this. Then, and only then, decide where and in what airplane you can and want to hold captain.
Being an FO in one airplane and upgrading in a different one means learning to the the expert in a new airplane, while learning the responsibilities and pitfalls of being in charge, which can be a very difficult and dangerous move. Many have failed, particularly when moving from the right seat of the ERJ to the more challenging cockpit of the CRJ. It was even worse for Right seat of the CRJ to the left seat of the E-120.
The majors like to see trainability. There is nothing to prevent Starting in the right seat of the CJR transitioning to the Rt seat of the ERJ a year later. Learn both airplanes from that seat then Upgrade in the CRJ when your seniority can hold that in the base you want, or are willing to commute to sitting reserve. 4 years down the road this will be a totally different environment, airline and airline industry, with more ERJs, less 200s, more Maxes and maybe even a few E-175E2s at mainline.
Woah there - it was simply a question. I understand what your saying and the points are appreciated. I'm just trying to do my due diligence. I guess the other question is - is it a mistake to go CRJ if the CRJ is likely to be phased out and replaced with more ERJs?