Thread: PUB call 18 May 2021

PurpleToolBox , 05-23-2021 07:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off
PurpleToolBox
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2013
Quote: No-I can't imagine the ability to take my family anywhere on Pass travel. Instead, I've been forced to take my family to Hawaii, Montana, Florida, Washington DC, Cabo on Frequent Flyer miles. I've been forced to use Frequent Flyer miles to send friends to California, twice, while they were furloughed. Family friends with Delta Travel perks to visit us as well as return home when there just weren't any seats. But hey, what can you expect when you're traveling in that peak Martin Luther King time frame.
While YOU may have been able to obtain a lot of points, that's not available to all FedEx pilots. And you still don't earn enough to equal the travel benefit they receive. But I'm happy you had the points for when you were forced to make travel plans for others. (rolls eyes)

Quote: In 2016, Delta compared career's with UPS. Why was that? Why didn't they use a fellow ALPA airline for a career comparison? And in that video, Delta's MEC said that the career earnings\retirement for a newhire were comparable. All it would take would be an immediate 18% raise, with 4.39% raises in 2017 & 18. That and for profit sharing to continue at the same relative level into the future and for people to actually Save their profit sharing checks.
Being a NERD, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Delta's TA achieve 18%, then 3%+3%?
You're proving my point. Because they felt their total compensation was higher than every other ALPA airline so they used UPS for a comparison (something to achieve). And they did quite well and overshot FedEx's 2015 contract payrates which were industry leading all for a couple of weeks.

How do I know I'm right? With our own union's Contract Comparison Document (hint: ... they took down the following pages ... or they're not working on the website ... hmm I wonder why?) Glad I always save everything.

Looking at 15-year Narrowbody Captain Pay (Pay and Defined Contribution), they compared our 757 Captains to 737s at UAL/AA/DAL even though they have 757s. Why? Probably because they didn't want to show the disparity by how industry lagging our 757 Captains pay really is. Every other airline earns more.

Second, when they compared our 15-year Widebody Captain pay, they compared FedEx's pay to DAL's 767-200/300 (which is weird because DAL doesn't have -200s) and UAL's 757/767. FedEx did edge out DAL/UAL because the smallest "widebody" on the scale was used for comparison.

Lastly they compare 777 Pay. FedEx came in last place. So our own union is telling us that our pay and defined contributions are less than majors and UPS. BUT, the union didn't include Profit Sharing! So when the passenger airlines get back to big profits and they will soon as most of them were cash positive as of May 2021, their pilots will soon be getting profit sharing again.

And might I remind you, the profit sharing is pensionable. And I know you've argued before that it wasn't. It is and our own union Contract Comparison document says so.

Quote: And being a NERD, enlighten me as to the percentage of Delta's Captains that earn top dollar? APC says there are 15 aircraft at the $354 level. 42 A330's at the $334 level. 27 767's at the $296 level. 45 B717s at the $256 level. 112 Baby buses at the $274 level. 208 737's at the $284\6 level.
Irrelevant. As I said above our own union documents show how our pay is lagging and that doesn't include PS.

Quote: As to the First Offer. Did you know FedEx pilots have actually rejected a TA?
Good. Hopefully we will do it again soon.

Quote: UPS pilots too. Granted it was in the late 90s. What's also true is that since then UPS has ratified every First Offer.
That's because their TAs were very good TAs which passed with high 90 percentage rates. I guess their NC is better? IDK

Quote:
What's also true is that pretty much every Major Airline has ratified a non-concessionary TA.
Not when the times were good. Only when the industry was in a down fall. And it wasn't like FedEx ratified a TA which set the bar. FedEx pilots have never done that. They only managed to have a good contract when the others collapsed into bankruptcy.

Quote: Another inconvenient historical fact. The last time a major airline's pilots struck it was kiboshed by Pres Clinton.
Ok, so let's just give up. No need to unify and let our voices be heard. No need to let the airline, our investors and customers know we want a strike vote.

Quote: There are two, great things we have going for us this time. First, is that UPS signed their bridge TA and raised the bar.
2nd, that management reportedly wants a deal by next summer. To me, that kind means our leverage is similar to what Delta had in 2015...when Delta wanted a deal.
Yes, other airlines managed to set the bar .... twice now for UPS during our long 205 contract. This is probably the smartest thing you've said. If it is true that management wants a deal soon, it means they don't want the uncertainty with our contract -- there's bigger things coming.

Quote: So, if a PSPP style modification is negotiated...and if 99% of FedEx Pilots vote against it, then we might still have a new TA to vote on next year, or early 2023 at the latest.
If we get a PSPP TA and vote it down, I am willing to wait for a contract that enhances our defined benefit. Because of our demanding schedules, I think we should overwhelmingly have industry leading pay but we don't right now. It's time to fix that. It's time to stand behind our union and our NC. It's time to unify and stand firm. If we don't get that, it's time we vote it down.