View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 01:02 AM
trent890
Don't need that HUD!

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B777/B787 - Flight Test

Originally Posted by pangolin View Post
High altitude. High true airspeed.
Oh, thank you esteemed Large RJ pilot for replying to my post to point out that true airspeed is higher for the same indicated airspeed when altitude is increased. Do you consider 7000 feet MSL in the traffic pattern to be a "high" altitude?

If the 150kt groundspeed of a light single-engine SR22 is attributed to the higher true airspeed as a result of the increased altitude, then similar elevated groundspeeds should be reflected in the other two nearby aircraft in the traffic pattern. The light single-engine C172 ahead of the SR22 showed a groundspeed of 90kt in the downwind to base turn. And the large multi-engine Metroliner turboprop had a groundspeed of 110kt on a straight-in final just before it was struck by the SR22.

So the increased altitude gives a TAS that is about 14% higher than the IAS. I mentioned the groundspeed of the SR22 in my post not because of the increased TAS versus IAS due to the altitude. I fail to comprehend how a 150kt TAS (~135kt IAS) is an "appropriate airspeed" (as prescribed in the Airman Certification Standards) for a light single-engine airplane on the base leg in the traffic pattern, when following another light single-engine airplane. I think the SR22 pilot exhibited a significant lack of airmanship, and possibly in a careless or reckless way contrary to the FAR.