Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
skystruck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Jr. Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by TchNgo View Post

The other part of the problem is that one of my good friends is in his 3rd year at Skywest and as of now it looks like it will be atleast another 2-3 years before he will be able to upgrade and hold SLC as captain. So even with Skywest I either commute to a base for a faster upgrade, or wait 6-7 years for captain in SLC. With me in my low 30s that could put a damper on my goal of ever having seniority at a major....

I wish I hadn't misplaced my crystal ball!!! Would would you guys do?
If SkyWest is where you want to be, then hold out for SkyWest or work another job to get to the minimums for SkyWest. No one can predict the length of upgrade times in this business. Go to a company that you want to work for and if possible has a base close to where you live or want to live. Don't forget that SkyWest also flies the Brasilia which has traditionally provided faster upgrade times than the jet. The Bro flies out of SLC too. It will take SkyWest a number of years to phase out the Bro. You could be CA on that airplane faster and keep SLC. But like you said, none of us have a crystal ball.

Also, just because SkyWest is hiring into a pool currently, doesn't mean that upgrade times are necessarily going to get substantially longer in the near future. No one seems to know why they have canceled training classes right now, its all just speculation. You have to stick with what you do know and act on that.