View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Packer Backer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by III Corps View Post
Funny you should assert that because the US/PI merger was based on DOH and not relative position . The maxim was "Date of hire leads to unity and unity leads to DOH." DOH prevailed in the merged list.

If you look through the history of mergers you will think you are in an echo chamber. Same arguments from those that prevail and by those that are hosed. In the end, the only rule that seems to prevail is the Gold Rule and that is 'The one with the Gold rules.' And contrary to the printed position of ALPA national, guys do reap a 'windfall'. To suggest it doesn't happen is ignoring the actual outcome.

As for ALPA, what do they care as long as the dues stream continues.... (note: this is not to disparage the volunteers or those in safety etc but national's agenda seldom seems to be anywhere near that of the line pilot. Fer
'zample, the line pilot wanted guns. ALPA said we don't think so. Line pilots for the most part said AGE 65. ALPA said we don't think so.
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. I guess when I said that DOH and years of service don't matter. I should have added "now" to the end of that sentence. This isn't our daddy's airline anymore. It's a whole new world and the arbitrators have been consistently favoring relative position regardless of DOH.

As for ALPA, they are charged with protecting us as a whole. ALPA isn't a union. It is an association of unions. The MEC is responsible for the individual airline. This USAir divide is hurting us all by keeping our wages and working conditions low.

And ALPA pilots, DID NOT WANT 65!!! The vocal minority won. Duane supported their position on this but Prater came in and didn't follow the majority opinion.

Nobody in this merger reaped any windfall. The East got the top 500 spots and everybody retained their position. Better yet, they got to keep their jobs. All the West pilots got was to keep their current seats. I hate to admit this, but sometimes I wish that USAir would just dissolve the East and have the West take over all of their flying. At least I wouldn't have to hear about all this BS anymore.