View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 10:51 AM
4thgenaviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by MinRest View Post
If you don't want to have to think about how to get to work, NJA is a good fit. You can get hired at NJA, be based in CLT and choose the 7/7. You can essentially become a mindless robot when it comes to how and when you go to work, and when you are home. I mean that in a good way, but that has to be what your priority is in order to see it as a good thing. My priority was making more money and having more time off with the ability to have more flexibility, so NJA didn't fit.

Managing your days off, bidding, trading, dropping, picking up, potentially commuting, reserve etc. takes more time and energy to manage. You already know this as you do it, but at a major you can reap the benefits and if picking your days off, picking stretches of days off. A 25 year captain at NJA has to work the same amount of days as a new hire FO, there is no ability to bid for higher credit trips so you can have more days off. How much extra money you make is completely up to the company, not you.

There is no perfect fit and which ever way you choose, you will be thinking about the other option wondering if it was the better fit lol. I will say if flexibility and days off are your priority, NJA will not be your answer.
Thank you. That’s some great information.

IMO, there’s a big difference between flexibility and predictability. AA offers flexibility, to be sure. But how much of an investment is required to live in your desired base and have a predictable schedule? I’m not against AA. I have do have friends there. But each of them who are recent hires are commuting to reserve. None can hold Charlotte.