View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 05:07 AM
TiredSoul
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

As a general recommendation, do not try and salvage a badly executed maneuver and hope you don’t get busted.
If you exceed published parameters then abandon the maneuver and communicate your reasons why.
An examiner has no duty to let you redo a busted maneuver.
Examples:

Steep turns, briefly exceed +|- 50’ state you’re correcting. Don’t wish that maybe the DPE didn’t see it.
Gross exceedence then simply roll out and state why. I exceeded my altitude by 200’.
An incomplete maneuver is different from a badly completed maneuver.

Short field landing, book says -0 feet.
You’re supposed to know that. Execute a go-around and state why. Now you better nail the next one.
You should know how to fix a potential overshoot like with a little sideslip or briefly lower the nose and catch it before you pound it on.
Again if it looks like you’re going to overshoot by half a mile execute a go-around.

Pilot in Command decision making instead of being a passenger on your own plane.
These are skill excercises so I’m looking at the CFI that signed you off also.
Lack of ground school or lack of training.
’Scuse me if that sounds crude.
I’m not a DPE but I’ve done tons of stage checks as a 141 Chief/asst Chief./Check instructor. Like 100’s.

I doubt it will affect you in any way.
If I were an employer I’d want you to be honest.
Yes, I failed my CPL SEL.
I wouldn’t even ask you why unless it’s for a CFI position. Then I’d ask how you would have done things differently as your instructor.
Now…135 or 121 type rides and mandatory recurrent , those could be a big problem.
Same as failed upgrades. I’d dig into those.
Then again I’m a pilot and not an HR headshrinker.

* On my CPL SEL ride I did a Short Field instead of the requested Soft Field.
Somewhere on final I got my wires crossed because of nerves.
He assumed I didn’t hear him correctly the first time and asked again. Gave me that cop look with the eyebrow then gave me the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by TiredSoul; 06-11-2021 at 05:30 AM.