Thread: DAL: JFK v. ATL
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 AM
StripAlert
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Against

Originally Posted by upndsky View Post
As background, I commute from RDU and I'm about equidistant from JFK and ATL, so commuting time isn't a factor (not counting delays). When you add in LGA, there's around 25 non-stops to NYC each day. I also did the EWR commute for many years, so I'm very familiar with the weather and the delays. I always enjoyed the flying and the crews up there. If it wasn't for the lousy schedules (non-commutable), I'd still be based there instead of IAH.

On the other hand, I don't really know anything about ATL. For the foreseeable future, we're not moving anywhere, so that's not a factor in considering a base. I'm strictly looking at schedules, commutability and the ability to hold a line.
NYC 7ER has the most commutable schedule in the system, and you'll get senior there faster than just about anything except NYC M88, which is completely *not* commutable for most folks. Really the only advantage of being based in ATL for you would be the ability to drive in if you have to, but you're going to need a crash pad there for all the early shows, even once you have a line.