Thread: Naval Aviation
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
41DS
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: F-5,737

Marine PLC program myself, however I had many friends that did Navy OCS after college. If you want to join the Navy to fly then when you go see the officer recruiter tell them you want to be a pilot. They should have you take all the tests and get you a flight physical. Assuming you pass all of that then they should submit your package as an aviator. If you don't get accepted then you will owe nothing, if you do get accepted then you should have a slot at flight school assuming you don't flunk out of ocs. This is the way it used to work, not sure if it still does. If they got turned down then no obligation and they could try again in 6 months. Ask the Navy Officer recruiter about the specifics and ask to see it in writing. The contract should state all of this. If you flunk out of flight school then thats your fault and it depends what stage of training your in. You could be reassigned to another platform or off to SWO or intel school.
Biggest thing, if you get a pilot slot, forget all of your civilian habits until your flying in the aircraft by yourself then fly it however you want. Leave your attitude if you have one at the door. The Navy will want you to do it their way, after all its worked for years, so just say yes sir and learn it the Navy way. I have seen too many of my friends with a descent amount of civilian time (1000hrs Lear time) wash out of Navy flight school because they wouldn't do it the Navy way and thought they new more than the instructors. Some of them did know more than the instructors, but guess what the instructors have made it through the Navy training and well my buddies didn't. With that being said, if you do what they teach you, you should rock the program and be #1 in your class and get what you want. Good luck whatever route you chose and pm me if you have any questions.