Thread: Red Eye Tips
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 08:08 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Halon1211 View Post
Before I do a red-eye I stop somewhere at the airport and grab a big cup of coffee.

as far as a nap. Try taking a melatonin or something strong before you nap but make sure it has worn off well before your flight.
Yes, IIRC the FAA has guidelines on melotonin use. Personally I only use it to go to bed early for an early show in the wrong time zone. I give myself at least 8 hours before show time, that stuff will leave you groggy... I'd be afraid to use it for a nap. Best to do your own trial and error.

My pre-redeye routine is usually not to work out the day of, that will make me really sleepy later on (I can get away with some weights, but not cardio). I definitely plan on a good nap in the afternoon, but not into early evening... if I nap late, it will be hard to get up and I'll feel like I should be back in bed.

Cup of Joe at show time, and usually another approaching TOD to be alert on arrival. Don't overdo the Joe, better to be a little mellow than all spun up because you'll come down off that eventually. And hydrate too.

Eat healthy the day of, and go easy the night before too... crap food and alcohol will take the edge off.