Thread: Atrial Flutter
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 03:21 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by WhisperJet View Post
Running, for as good as they say it is has, has destroyed my back, hips, knees, etc. I now walk (10,000 steps / 5 miles a day total) and I've never felt better or been healthier. Also ditched the heavy workouts and focus on core exercises and body weight (chinups and pullups). No need to squat 350 anymore/
Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
The point is you don't need to do heavy exercise to get good health benefits. My knees are in great shape and I hope to die with the same ones I was born with.
Current thinking is actually that impact exercise is good for your joints and cartilage, and my experience bears that out... lifelong runner, and all in good shape post age 50 (ie can still run and downhill ski). Also held up to some tactical ground-pounder abuse in the mil, including parachuting.

Running is a natural repetitive motion which we're designed for. Sports like tennis and hoops (to say nothing of football, soccer, skiing) are more likely to injure joints. If your joints are in good shape and aligned right, running will probably help maintain them. Start easy of course, and moderation appropriate to your age.