View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 06:15 PM
DeltaboundRedux
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: Enoch Powell Enthusiast

"Quartered Safe Out Here: A Harrowing Tale of World War II" - George MacDonald Fraser. (*)

Get the Audiobook, because, my god, the British wit shines through with the narrator's correct pronunciation/dialect of all the accents (British, Welsh, Scottish, Nepalese, Indian, many more) and sayings.

This is one of the best war novels I've ever listened to; a personal memoir of a British soldier in the Pacific theatre of WWII (Burma). Funny as heck; will appeal to any man born in the US under 40, doubly so to the military guys.

https://www.amazon.com/Quartered-Saf...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I quote: [British accent] "Tsk, tsk. Clummmmsy clummmsy" - from a British captain who pulled out a mortar round of a tube that was inserted improperly and would've killed the fire team if he hadn't jumped on it immediately...then immediately continued the sneak attack on river boats with a weapon designed to take out tanks, not patrol boats.

Made me want to enlist. For WWII. With the Brits. Limey Bastards.

(*) - G. MacDonald Fraser is famous/infamous for his "Flashman" pulp fiction novels. Those are darkly humorous, describing a very fictional character of a ner-do-well British officer when the sun never set on the British Empire. Very, very problematic to the woke, and satire, for those who can't grasp a pointed critique. Start with the biography.

Last edited by DeltaboundRedux; 07-01-2021 at 06:41 PM.