View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Cazadores
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Bearhawk23 View Post
Would anyone be able to talk about the open time available at Skywest to pick up out of PDX or SEA for an FO / Captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As things are now, maybe as an FO. Maybe.

Currently Captains at SkyWest are for the most part, particularly mid seniority and junior, scheduled min days off and unable to drop or trade. I don't see this changing as this has been the case since I upgraded, in every base, with the exception of the year of covid surplus. You will likely not be able to drop, trade or have enough time off to pick up out of base, and your colleagues will be in the same boat, meaning they won't be able to pick up what you desire to drop to avoid a commute to junior bases.

I've tried this at SkyWest for years. It doesn't work very well. Unless you're really senior, when it doesn't matter anyway.

There are a litany of reasons to not work for either company.

Therefore go to work for QX.

Fly turboprops if you can. I loved flying turboprops. You'll likely never again have the chance in your career. I'm guessing the Q is junior, which makes it an even better choice.

Live where you want, work where you live. If you want to live in Salt Lake or San Francisco or Los Angeles, work for SkyWest. You seem to like Portland, QX will not leave Portland. QX will staff Portland.

As far as moving on, QX and OO both send plenty of people on to dream careers at terminal career companies. Study for initial, transitions and upgrades, be prepared for recurrent, if you keep your house in order there, the airline won't matter. If you don't, we'll, hehe, still won't matter.....

Go to work for QX. You'll be happier. Trust me. I'm from the internet. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk