View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 04:33 PM
tennisguru
Roll’n Thunder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by Whoopsmybad View Post
What is epic about the change? Not being a smart a**, want your opinion as to why it is epic.
The job knowledge test was exactly the opposite of its name. The vast majority of the questions served no real-world purpose. (distance between lat/long, anyone?) There were certainly some relevant questions in there, but the most basic stuff anyone should know anyways, but you never knew what questions you were going to get so you had to prepare for the worst. It took weeks of intense study to prepare for just that single portion of the interview. To that end, I guess it did help thin the candidate pool some by showing who was dedicated enough to put in that much effort to pass the test. But I doubt it really accurately differentiated between good an bad pilots. At least the cog test makes some sense as it more tests your mental acuity instead of rote knowledge. I heard anecdotally that lots of people passed the HR part but failed the JKT. Then they come back 6 months later and pass and get hired. I say dropping it is epic because it was by and large the worst part of the interview, and literally no one that I know who took it enjoyed any part of the JKT. I mean you can crush the HR portion but just by dumb luck get a bad question bank on the JKT and your day is done. My HR panel was stressful because of what was on the line, but it was also somewhat enjoyable as a conversation about myself and flying.

In the end the JKT was just an onerous and overly stressful part of the interview process that in my mind didn't screen candidates based on true viability for the job. Now with it gone applicants can prepare in less time for a more reasonable interview process. Other than those wishing the same meat-grinder process on future candidates that we all had to go through in the past I don't know who is really sad to see the JKT go.