View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 09:04 AM
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
Comparing UPT to a CFI check is ridiculous. My CFI check ride (before I went to UPT) was harder than any checkride I've ever done, military or civilian. 8 hour oral and a flight with a gruff old dude that made the biggest hammer at Sheppard seem like a santa. Pilot training was tougher, but only because it was a year long event with ridiculously high standards, whereas a CFI ride was a single event. I'd have taken any of the 10 checkrides at Sheppard over my CFI check any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I do agree with Drum on the sign. Nothing wrong with the sign, every company with pilots should have a similar sign hanging over the entrances to their ops. It's not so much arrogance as it is attempting to push a mindset of professionalism and excellence.
Agree with this 100%. It's dumb to compare them and only serves to have an unproductive sausage measuring contest. There are challenging things about each but certainly the most grueling program is UPT.

I certainly would have chosen UPT over the civilian route because one, while difficult, includes a pretty good paycheck, lodging, a massive support system and a incredible experience/resume booster. The other is incredible expensive and only gives you the right to be poor for the next 2-5 years(sometimes going a week or more without making a dime) flying, at times questionably airworthy aircraft that no one bats an eye about when trying to get a job.