View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Buck Rogers
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
Comparing UPT to a CFI check is ridiculous. My CFI check ride (before I went to UPT) was harder than any checkride I've ever done, military or civilian. 8 hour oral and a flight with a gruff old dude that made the biggest hammer at Sheppard seem like a santa. Pilot training was tougher, but only because it was a year long event with ridiculously high standards, whereas a CFI ride was a single event. I'd have taken any of the 10 checkrides at Sheppard over my CFI check any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I do agree with Drum on the sign. Nothing wrong with the sign, every company with pilots should have a similar sign hanging over the entrances to their ops. It's not so much arrogance as it is attempting to push a mindset of professionalism and excellence.
Not disagreeing with you on the CFI check ride....but... you ever wonder how much your experience helped you at Sheppard? I went to UPT with 10 total hours(thereabouts) after Hondo. Some guys showed up with 1500 back seat F-4 time or several thousand hours civilian. While most were figuring out how to fly a jet...AND......talk on the radio at the same time...”What’s that landing gear warning going off for”?....prior experience is invaluable. Fortunately....we rose to the occasion....many of my acquaintances were unable to do so.....”There but for the grace of God”....fortunately, here we are...no matter the avenue!