View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 03:30 PM
av8or
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: This side of the dirt.

Originally Posted by RNO Flyer View Post
Realistically, for someone hired in the next year how long would they be looking at for an upgrade? The numbers for mandatory retirements on APC between now and 2044 only add up to a little over 1000, so something's off there.
the problem is….. unlike at nearly every other airline our path forward is completely ambiguous. Even by those that are firmly planted moss head Alaskalites…. None of us have any idea the plan…. And for the few that might, that is so completely subjective to a titanic shift in a new direction at the drop of a hat, that “the plan” today can be a 180 degree opposite of “the plan” tomorrow. When I was hired the plan was, “growth through acquisition of VA, new JFK base, new JFK pax lounge, transcons from LAX to JFK and BOS, “Most West Coast”, hiring 450 in 2018, 5 years to Cpt.”

Now the plan is mostly “Protect SEA, retreat from transcons, try and hold some market share in Hawaii against the onslaught of SWA, replace fleet with Max’s, increase frequency to seasonal tourist destinations, provide feed for American and OneWorld. Capt in prob 6-7”

I enjoy the job. I enjoy the layovers. I enjoy the crews and coworkers. Its prob a stable career investment, but, it most like will also yield lower career dividends that many of our competitors by nearly every metric.