View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 PM
MoneyMan
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: Social Conservative
Default Extra flying and accountability

NOTE: This thread is on union and company accountability. Do NOT discuss the type of flying or anything specific that would violate any security issues, or the FDX monitor will shut down this thread.

As everyone is aware, there is a lot of extra flying now being done by select pilots (mostly management and flight standards). In fact, there is so much extra flying that a flight standards pilot told me they are canceling vacations for March and April in order to man the flights.

Now given the union statements and the companies that the BLG/RLG is going down and that there may be some "adjustments" to allow for the reduced flying, I see a conflict here--one side is making money hand over foot and getting paid extra for vacation cancellations, but the other side is earning less.

So the question in this thread is addressing the accountability. Inasmuch as I disagree with the assignment process (I think line pilots should get the trip and then be bumped by the "select" pilots), the union has indicated that the process is legal per the contract.

The contract says:
If a management pilot flies a trip, or portion thereof, covered by this Agreement and it is not possible to identify the line pilot
who would have been bumped and otherwise would be entitled to compensation as described in Section 9.A.2. (above), the scheduled credit hours for such trip, or portion thereof, either shall be paid to the Association...
OK. It's obvious that the company does not identify the line pilot (nor makes any attempt) and so payment goes to the Association.

Why are we not getting an accounting of these payments? I get no response from my union rep. It is much like the wet lease payments that we never see anymore--they go to the union with no reporting and no accountability.

With the planned reduction in flying, why isn't this money being used to offset the reduction? Where does it go in the Association and why isn't it being reported. There are no sensitive issues here--just say the company paid the Association for Quarter xxx for management flying. Why isn't this being done.

I'd welcome your insights into this if you understand how the system works.

Thanks.