Thread: NWA Ratifies TA

2dotslow , 05-09-2006 06:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off
2dotslow
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2006
Quote: Interesting observation, which I don't happen to agree with.

May I offer another perspective, from a well-known industry publication, by a very respected, retired FedEx MD11 Captain, who loved his job:

"These days, the airline corporations have done everything possible to denigrate the profession and divide pilot from pilot. They turn our love of flying against us. As I was told by one of the endless parade of executives, 'You guys love airplanes. We can take away almost everything and you'll stick around just to fly.' Those of us with the fire inside frequently express our great loss in this way: we absolutely love what could and should be, and absolutely detest what it has become, what the corporation has made it. And we have to wonder why. We all miss what could have been."
That too, is an interesting perspective, albeit the quoted executive surely can't be so naive as to believe what he supposedly said, and the respected Captain sounds like a fatalist. A lot of the rhetoric attributed to airline managers or union officials is nothing more than shots across the bow of the other side to get attention. Some of what's said is (unbelievably) purposely misconstrued for each side's particular motives. I meant no disrespect to others with my views...I truly feel that flying is an extremely easy,and enjoyable job. If I outted myself a lazy, so be it, but I've always been, I know. Having been furloughed after 11 years (I retired subsequently) did not alter my views about union or management an iota. I never trusted either, and put up with both as necessary evils of the trade. I firmly believed then, and still do, that there is a direct proportional relationship to intense pro-union activity by individual pilots, and lack of flying ability...read CYA for weakness. In fact, I've seen it in action, and by some of my oldest friends. By the same token, the Wolfs, Cartys, the drughead NWA exec, etc. all had a single, overriding priority...themselves. Ergo, my cynicism. Now I simply wish those pilots struggling with pay and retirement issues the best, and don't blame those on the firing line for the stances they've taken. Me? A couple more corporate flying years to pad my nest, and I'll never look back.