View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 02:51 PM
C17B74
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: No Hats No Jackets No PAX

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
At FedEx you really don't have to do that though... The jumpseats on company are usually wide open. You just jumpseat in to work and you're protected by the contract. I'd much rather jumpseat on FedEx than those brutal coach tickets going JAN-DFW-PHX-ANC. The domestic guys will jumpseat in for a flight and go straight to work. They don't even need crashpads or airport cars.

My first crash pad at FedEx was $250 a month. Because of imputed income it's more expensive to commute to Atlas for many.... Then FedEx paid to move me to MEM so I no longer even have to commute. It really should be a no brainer.
Most of this is subjective with factual data which makes sense to those with similar experiences. Totally agree, many would rather jump seat on their iron, unless given the opportunity for business or higher - you know points (limited), etc or just the COVID impact = many of us can upgrade, loads are full of cheap flyers so personally upgrades have been well over 50% (This will end in time). Any commuting MX delay, WX delay, CNX’d flight, act of God = protected by contract and your never outside the bubble. ANC is just the beginning of your stop here, then you can bid out eventually. I was there very short period, others for a year or more your mileage may vary. So that leaves JFK, ORD, LAX, CVG, MIA and MEM for now. Superb benefit having your company pay for your move to MEM, if MEM is your dream area to retire and die which can’t be beat my hats off to you; therefore, it is “a no brainer.” Many here enjoy their Shangri la of choice for family, friends, divorce issues, roots, etc or even overseas (works well for some). Subjectively MEM is by far not my garden spot to sacrifice lifestyle for $/ease of returning home, etc. It really reeks of work doing those lines comparatively to 1-2 iron ops - I myself avoid CVG like the plague = all subjective. Miss HSV, pure chill, casual international access and that was the pure life for me and not even living there but drive and fly. I could drive to MEM it’s not even twice the drive and pretty sure I can hold it easily, but waiting to see what the lines will bring before I ever pull that trigger. Man, I wish MEM was my Shangri la.

Objectively: $$$ is much better - Buy your own tickets, Buy a better hotel/crash pad, Stay domestic, Paid move to MEM your worksite, trip trade, etc. All Good Stuff!
You only have one life so make it work for you and your priorities - more $$$ in hand is undeniable so most will sacrifice something. For those able to not sacrifice anything you are definitely “Living YOUR Dream!” and that’s fantastic. We’re crew so something will be missing just like Ted Turner when asked how much is enuff. “Just a little bit more!”

Last edited by C17B74; 07-19-2021 at 03:04 PM.