View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
18(v) requires that you report arrests or convictions. But this does not sound like any of those items unless driving privileges are suspended. Has that happened yet?

18(w) requires that you report non-traffic misdemeanor/felony convictions (but not arrests. Seems like a traffic offense so maybe 18(w) doesn't apply? Ask a lawyer to be safe.

Reading the 18(v) & (w) literally, you could be convicted of a felony non-substance driving offense, go to jail, but still not have to report it. If your license is suspended, you would need to report it under 18(v)

18(v) focuses on substance-influenced driving, and DL suspension/revocation. 18(w) focuses on non-traffic offenses.

Better ask an aviation lawyer though.

As far as jail time....

1) Not likely for a regular citizen with a clean record who made a careless (vice premeditated) mistake. Jails are too full as it is, they don't have room for guys like you.

2) If it did happen, 121 employment would terminate for sure... at my age I've learned not to be to sure of too many things in life but I am highly confident that no airline offers a LOA to serve prison time... they don't even like letting military take time off to serve the nation FFS.

Silver lining... it's probably better to be unemployed when the lawsuits arrive.
18v(2) would look to be applicable. (1) looks to be specific to drugs and alcohol, (2) looks to be general in nature in regards to driving privileges. The 18w non-traffic conviction would not.

But just because you are entering something there doesn't mean that you are being denied a medical, it's just asking for that to verify the information. Unless it's one of the actual "flags", a drug/alcohol related offense, it shouldn't have any bearing on getting the medical. Lying about it though when checked against the NDR might be a flag.