Gets Weekends Off
GogglesPisano
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2013
  • Position
    On the hotel shuttle
Quote: Happened to a friend of mine when a flight attendant called in a issue with a passenger seatbelt via the jetway phone. His suspension was however reduced to a letter of warning. In another case relatively recent we boarded a aircraft with a flight crew placarded MEL. The FAA showed up to flight check us. Maintenance showed up to clear the MEL and in front of the FAA guy said the item could not be flight crew placarded. As soon as maintenance left the FAA guy picked up the logbook and wrote down the flight number of the inbound flight. I left the cockpit and looked up the inbound crew and called the Captain to tell him to write a ASAP. He said MC told him they could flight crew placarded it. I told him to ASAP it anyway. The FAA is not going to take it as a excuse.
1) I’m sorry. I won’t believe that a captain can be held responsible for something he couldn’t possibly know about. How did the letter of warning read? “Even though no one told you about a seatbelt, we’re going to give you stern warning. Next time run the cabin safety checks on top of your normal duties.”

2) The Captain should have known it was not pilot-placardable since that information is in the MEL.