View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 01:50 PM
chippewa19
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2021
Position: C175 SIC

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
Depending on what your SI is that could be a big obstacle. That said, if you can fix whatever caused the SI than do so. The general philosophy about military medicine is that you tell them as little as possible until you are ready to separate or retire.

Unfortunately, timing wise, you are likely to find guard and Reserve units staggeringly overmanned due to every airline guy trying to latch on during Covid. Don’t let it discourage you, within a year a lot of those guys will be disappearing and UPT slots should be available. The Reserve has historically been unable to fill all of its assigned slots. However, you might have to be very flexible about base and airframe. Find out who is running hiring at the units that interest you (usually the chief pilot) and when they are having a drill weekend where you would be welcome to hangout. This is an informal pre-interview type process that allows guys to get an idea of who you are. Also, bring a bottle of something good. You don’t have to drink and if you do know your limits. It’s kind of like rushing a frat, only they want you to be fun and responsible.
Re: SI, my FC1 was done by an AFR Flight Surgeon and he said it wouldn't be an issue once I got it fixed and recent anecdotal evidence from an applicant at Wright-Patt confirms

As far as AFR not being able to fill its slots, is there a particular reason for this? My understanding is a little fuzzy as far as where dollars are coming from for state vs federal missions but I thought that everyone got 12x AFTP slots per quarter plus drill